Saturday, November 13, 2010

# 400

My favorite coach lost today at OSU. Nice try JoePa! I have been meaning to write about last week's victory over Northwestern when Coach Paterno won his 400th game! Incredible! Amazing! I don't always agree with JoePa about his play calling or his choice of starters but to accomplish what he did is almost beyond words!! He has won with class. He was run a successful program since 1966. Coach Paterno not only teaches football but he also instructs his players and fans about how to live. He turns young students into better men. JoePa possesses integrity and character. I admire his courage to keep on coaching even when the critics and boo birds echo their sentiments, "Joe must go!"

Coach Paterno will most likely coach until his health declines or he feels he can no longer do the job. I hope he continues coaching! It his decision and no one else's. He has earned the right to make that call. I know folks who want to see Coach Paterno hang em up! But when he does my guess they will be the ones who complain about the new coach and harken for JoePa to walk the sidelines. I met Coach Paterno while living in Westerville, Ohio. He had recruited Mark Keilmeyer to be a defensive end. He was personable and down-to-earth. It was like talking to one of my neighbors. He even autographed a book of mine and a hat that my daughter Chantelle brought with her to our meeting. What a thrill!

So this is a salute to you, Coach Paterno! You are an example to us. Keep on doing what you love. And thank you for all of the years of coaching and teaching that helped to make our world a better place.

WE ARE PENN STATE!

No comments:

Post a Comment