Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Anticipation

My wife and I are anxiously awaiting the arrival of our first grandchildren. Our son and daughter-in-law are expecting twin boys any day. We are brimming with anticipation. It is hard to imagine that we are going to be grandparents! What an exciting time in our lives! We can hardly wait to see and hold these little gentlemen. A verse from Psalm 128 keeps running around my head. "May you see your children's children! Peace be upon Israel!" (verse 6) I vividly remember the births of our three children. I didn't know quite what to expect in terms of how I would feel. Everyone keeps telling us that there is nothing quite like having grandchildren. Of course all this does is add fuel to the fire of anticipation. Our hope is that they will come soon. Otherwise I am likely to explode due to the building up of anticipation. Just kidding!

I am also reminded of the song by Carly Simon "Anticipation." I remember the song being used in a ketchup commercial. That certainly has been the theme in our home. Anticipation adds energy to life. And while we don't know exactly what this experience will be like as grandparents we certainly know the Lord will be with us. Grandparenting sounds similar to opening presents on Christmas morning. It requires some work ripping open the gifts but boy it is fun! A number of grandparents have shared with me how much energy it takes to keep up with those bundles of energy bouncing around your home. But the joys of playing with them and spoiling them are unmatched! Hearing these things and the stories from friends who are grandparents also stokes the feeling of anticipation. Perhaps this is God's plan that grandparents enjoy their later years through the blessing of their grandchildren. God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment