Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I've Been Smitten

It happened. I have been smitten! All kidding aside. My wife and I were smitten last week. We both fell in love with our grandsons! All the waiting and anticipation was well worth it. Hudson David Confer and Dean Ross Confer were born on Thursday January 21st. They share their father's birthday! How cool is that?! These two have stolen our hearts. We simply do not know how to act. We are giddy with joy and celebration. Our lives will be forever changed. People kept telling us that there was nothing like being grandparents. And they were right! In my last blog I wrote about the concept we call anticipation. What a blessing from God to be a grandparent! I have a whole new appreciation for Psalm 128:6 where David said, "May you see you children's children. Peace be upon Israel." Those two pslams (127 & 128) speak to the seasons of family life. This season is very special indeed. God is so good!

I just feel very blessed to have held and kissed our grandsons. They are wonderful beyond words! The feeling you carry around is a combination of joy, euphoria, gratitude and pride. Those of you who are grandparents know exactly what I mean. I have to admit we did not truly understand what others meant until we saw those boys in the nursery at the hospital. Once you get to see them the emotions almost overwhelm you. It is a genuine blessing to experience this happy event. Our grandsons have been blessed with loving, caring Christian parents. That also makes a grandparent feel really positive. I remember how proud we felt when our own were born. You are flying high to be sure. Being a grandparent has the same kind of sense but even more so. I am not sure I can explain it. As one brother told me you just have to experience it. As a grandfather I can only say, "Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment